Friday, January 05, 2007

Pincushion & a little Ramble


Arrrgh!
Originally uploaded by amberthyme.
Not enough blood. I hate having to poke Brenna when she's asleep but when I have to poke her a second time it really frustrates me. Some days she bleeds like crazy and other days I end up poking her 2 or 3 times before I get any blood. I don't want to dial the lance up too high. This was taken last week when I was home at naptime.

My poor baby is a pincushion. Tonight I had my husband set up the site change stuff while I was giving Brenna a bath. My goal is to have everything ready, give her a brief choice about where the site will be, (if she doesn't choose I pick for her) and to make it as fast and painless as possible. Since I can't seem to get close to painless I aim for swift so we can minimize trauma and get on with the hugs, kisses, and something fun. Al forgot to take the sticker off of the back of the site. This is the second time he's done it! I know he feels bad but I had a very hard time being sympathetic to him as I was trying to calm her down then hold her down for a second site change. Nobody, child or adult should have to be a pincushion for the rest of their lives.

That is the main reason that I post her pictures on Diabetes Made Visible -- people need to see the faces and the lives of the people who have diabetes. If you haven't taken a peek follow the link or click on the button over in the sidebar.

There are some funny pics and some wonderful art photos (I never knew I could find a row of insulin bottles beautiful) and the everyday pics of test strips, testing, blood drops on fingers. There is one of Gracie crying with a blood smear on her finger -- I want to give her and her mommy Sarah a hug and make them both feel better every time I look at the picture. How can people in power NOT want to do anything when you see and read how all of these wonderful people are living daily with this disease.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

The funniest thing, I checked Gracie's blood while she was asleep last night, and when I finished, she licked her finger in her sleep! too cute!